Monday, May 16, 2011

Graduation day

Yesterday was graduation for our seniors, which is typically a very nice event.  As the names of each student was read and they crossed the stage, several names evoked pride and happiness within me.  This class' graduation (2011) also marks, officially, ten years since I received my high school diploma (2001), from an institution I am quite proud of, De Smet Jesuit.  Although a decade sounds like a long time, it has gone by quickly. 

In ten years so much has obviously changed.  Four years of college flew by.  Establishing a career, marrying, and starting a family in our own home took a little over half that time.  These bright moments are results of seized opportunity and God's grace.  I can only guess what ten more years will look like. 

Quite appropriately yesterday, and for the first time, the administration offered school staff and board members the opportunity to present the diploma to their sons or nephews on stage.  Of course, ol' sentimental me couldn't help but get excited for my opportunity (hopefully) many years from now with my two sons. 

Nevertheless, yesterday's moment and my 10-year anniversary remind me about time, how it flies, pretty much regardless of the amount of fun being had.  At Peter's birth, time stood still.  Now he's almost three.  I lamented to my wife the other night about loving THIS moment in life and wanting it forever.  She assured me that there will continue to be moments to love throughout all times in life, that it keeps getting better. 

I agree with her, certainly.  One day I'll look back and remember this post, or yesterday's graduation and how I felt my sons' time was so far off.  And more importantly, hopefully the time between these two moments will be marked, continually, with an abundance of seized moments and full memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment