Saturday, March 12, 2011

Low expectations: spring break '11

I am entrenched in the opening weekend of a much needed spring break.  And while many of my students and colleagues are wrapped up in extensive plans for their week off, I've decided to take a more relaxing and less creative respite from the hustle and bustle of the working world.

Every August countless teachers and students head back to school and every August countless teachers and students circle this week on their calendar.  It is every student's dream to head to exotic locations with their best buds and collect the most boss facebook photos to show the world (and future would-be employers).  Of course, once the week is over, those photos serve as only depressing reminders that spring break was then and Mr. Nickson's class is now.  Boo-hoo.

In the act of circling this week by August, I am no different.  However, my excitement at doing absolutely nothing distinguishes me.  Of course my wife and I talk about going places and doing things.  But, when presented with the prospect of being somewhere at a certain time, spending X number of hours in the car, and knowing I could get away with doing nothing, I will choose nothing.

That is not to say I'm lazy, or that I dislike my job.  Quite the contrary.  But spring break is special in its lack of schedule and expectations.  This morning for instance, my dog and I ran seven miles due to the fact that I didn't give myself an expectation.  Where ever we got, we got, I said.  This week, I'll probably go up to work quite a bit and get stuff done while the students are away.  But, with zero expectations, it's all gravy.

So while millions of high school and college students and teachers rush to make their flights, wade in crowded lines to walk through x-ray body scanners, and experience Montezuma's Revenge in their all-inclusive paradises, I'll be playing it hour by hour, enjoying my impending schedule of absolutely nothing.  Speaking of which, I need to get back to doing.
(How I feel this week)

No comments:

Post a Comment